Friday, August 29, 2008

Update #9: The Baby Squid

My child is a baby squid. Seriously. Look at her and tell me she does not remind you of a little baby squid in those goggles and swim cap. I dare you! Cause it's not possible!!

So, as you can see, I am now a Swim Mom. For now and forever more I will be there, poolside in my folding captain's chair, cheering my daughter on as she swims across the pool. I will have you also know that we are not hopping on the "Phelpswagon" either. We have been doing this for MONTHS. Her first swim meet (the one from these photos) was July 17th. Bust speaking of the Phelpswagon... it's funny. All of a sudden, this week, there is a HUGE INFLUX in kids wanting to join the swin team and be the next Michael Phelps. Awesomeness. Swimmers ROCK.

Before the meet, Violet stretched out...
And getting ready for her first event, the 50m backstroke.
She's checking her goggles just before swim time...
And as the buzzer rang to start the event, Violet was determined to make it a good one. I love this picture - with the sheer concentration on her face as she pushes off the wall...
And her first event is done! Two more to go!
Rick volunteered to time the events, and Riley helped.
Violet was checking out which heat she was in next...
It was the 100 freestyle. She had a bit of a bobble on her dive into the pool, which is unusual because she's normally a great little diver. But she recovered pretty well...
And finished strong. Afterward she got a little pep talk from her Auntie, who is nearly as excited as I am about having a swimmer in the family!
Violet didn't have much time to rest, though! She was in the next event, the 50m breaststroke. This is her favorite event, and she did great.
She had a super dive into the water...
And after almost starting to freestyle, she caught herself just in time and began the breaststroke!
Here she is, mid-stroke, taking a breath...
And getting ready to go back for the last 25...
And finished! Awesomeness.

This swim meet was so much fun. It was really low-key (our YMCA was competing against another YMCA team in town), but great experience for the kids. Violet is definitely a natural swimmer (just like her Auntie!) and I couldn't be prouder of how well she did. No medals or ribbons this time, but then again she is one of the youngest on the team and this was her first race ever. I believe there will be another meet at the end of September. She is so excited to do it again! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Violet see looks cute and I think she will be a great swimmer she def looks like a swimmer. Good luck in your next meet

Liane said...

awwwwww my little swimmer niece!!! i love her!! i just know she's gonna be a million times better than me, and definitely better than michael phelps. :)

Ursula Page said...

She is so cute! And wow...to be a good swimmer so young. Love all the pics!

mimba said...

i seriously LOVE my niece... she is the cutest!
and WAY better than michael phelps!! haha
:)

Jenene said...

Go Squidward!