Monday, August 28, 2006

Busy week it has been.

Found out a friend's wife died this past week, on their 10th anniversary, hiking at Zion National Park. They were at the top of a trail called Angel's Landing and stopped to take a picture, and for whatever reason lost her footing and fell off the cliff. He had turned around for a second to put down the camera bag and she was gone. 1200 feet down. That was a tough thing for me to process - these people are my age. Married almost as long as me and Rick. And thinking about the hurt and emptiness that our friend must feel was emotionally wrenching for us. Knowing that she is Home with the Lord is what makes it all okay. She was an amazing, incredible person who loved Jesus the way we should all love Him. And now she's with Him. Wow.

The next day I did a photo shoot with Liane and Carl. We took lots of fun, random pictures of them and got a few good ones for the newspapers and stuff like that. I want to take them out again and do more - it was crazy windy the day we went, and we weren't able to go in late afternoon like I had hoped, so some of the shots I was hoping for didn't turn out. No worries, though. We'll just keep taking pics till I get ones I like ;)

Friday morning at 7:30 I took Riley to the dentist. Did I share that he had FOUR cavities, one of them so bad he was gong to need a "baby root canal" and a crown??? On his little 3 year old mouth??! Yeah. Bad mom. Well Friday we did the left half of his mouth. Baby root canal, another filling, and sealant applied to another tooth that had "potential" to get bad. We went witha pediatric dentist that used a "cocktail" sedation and nitrous oxide to help him relax. Oh cause did I mention how we tried to do the fillings once before with our regular dentist and he had a panic attack in the chair when the dentist started drilling? Yeah. Not pretty. But this time it was much better. In fact, he was so relaxed he actually ended up falling asleep during the procedure, so the dentist had no problem taking care of him. His crown still hurts him a little bit, so we have been giving him tylenol at night. And in 2 weeks he gets the other side - that one is 2 fillings and a sealant, so it won't be nearly as bad. We'll still do the sedation just to keep it safe and comfy for him, though.

While Riley's teeth were getting fixed, my friend Joelle had her baby at a nearby hospital. A beautiful little girl named (I believe... cause they weren't totally sure last I talked to them) Ireland Rain. They will call her Rain. So pretty. And I heard so is she :). I still need to get over and see them. Every time I had a chance to go over there and visit her, Joelle has been asleep or it was too late. This week I will meet little Rain!

The funeral was today. This was the first funeral I have ever attended. I could not believe the number of people who attended. The church had every single available seat (including folding chairs) out... even all the coffee shop chairs... and still there were dozens of people standing in the back of the sanctuary. It was a beautiful service, but so hard to see our friend grieve for his wife. She was a beautiful singer and performer, and at the end they had a photomontage that played on the screens accompanied by a recording of her singing "Amazing Grace." Wow. It was incredible. She touched so many lives while on earth, and so many more even today.

Home now tonight working on a million deadlines while Rick has Violet at softball practice (today she's learning how to pitch!). Crazy how life continues on. I pray for my friend every night that he can find the strength to continue on, too.

And, finally, I found this fabulously great version of Canon in D that I think Liane and Carl need to use in their wedding ;)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Sl8sZuT-U

1 comment:

Tisra said...

How horrific! I can't even begin to put myself in his shoes- it hurts too much to think about it. But, you're right- life continues and we are all in it together as humans. Babies being born, people getting married, kids learning new skills, others dying. Whew.